Fast and Furious G3

It’s been a long time coming, however last weekend Moog and I had our second clear round in the competition ring; and it was a good one we won the class.

Since the early days of his training I’ve known Moog has amazing potential, and in different circumstances, the clear rounds may have been flowing much sooner in his agility career. However, I’ve felt Moog needed to mature before embarking on too much serious training and my time restraints have meant we have to make the most of the time we have to train in.

So our agility journey has been fun, fast and intense (Moog is incredibly focused and in full-on working mode at training). At three he is starting to get some self-preservation. This has meant we can do more training and we can be more ambitious with what we train without him breaking equipment, himself or me!



Although I’m an advocate of more training, less competition, I think four days of competition at the KC Festival this year was a turning point for us. If nothing else, it gave us plenty of competition practice. Lots of opportunities to prepare for our run, learn to keep calm (Moog more than me) while we’re waiting for our run, start line practice (this will be on-going) and generally help Moog’s mental game.

His fitness, speed, strength and physical ability are all there, so our focus has been on his mental ability to deal with the excitement of an agility run.

We’re going to enter a few competitions over the winter to continue developing his agility mental skills and for me to train my ring skills with a very different type of dog than I’ve run in the past.

It’s a fun ride.

Here’s the video of his run:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0knolEjRk

Comments

Popular Posts