Day 2 - NYC

I don't consider myself to be the most travelled person so when I do travel somewhere new I am fascinated by it. It doesn't matter if it's a new agility venue, Wraxall being the most recent, or another country, I'm interested. I've always found geography interesting and amazed by what's around us.

On saturday Tim talked my through their pictures taken on their recent break to Italy which included a trip to Pompeii. Somewhere I know only a little about but am now interested in.

Anyway, flying into JFK airport New York was incredible. We caught a brief glimpse of the Manhattan skyline as we landed and travelling into the city, the sights just opened up.

We both want to pack a lot into our short time here so after checking-in we were off to Central Park and exploring the city. It's like no where I've been before. The buildings are amazing, What I found incredible is how there are so many buildings packed into such a tight space. We took time at Central Park while sitting by one of the lakes to have a really good look at the building around us. When I REALLY, REALLY looked, there were many other smaller building packed in around the huge towers. Some of these had very different architecture and looked almost out of place, but interesting historic places.

We both agreed that the view from the top of the Rockefeller building was one of those you will never, ever forget. Walking out of the lift on to the viewing balcony left us totally speechless. We walked about on the 67/69th floor for about an hour only really coming down because we were getting tired after being up for over 20 hours. If not, we could have stayed there for hours longer, it was awe-inspiring.

In some ways it was terrible what man has done to spoil the natural landscape, but in other ways the achievement of man is incredible too. What vision Rockefeller had to build something so massive as this all those years ago. I'll be adding some reading about him to my Amazon wish list.

We decided to walk back to our hotel taking in the city. This took us through Time Square which reminded me of a bigger, brighter version of Piccadilly Circus. Very thrilling, lots of energy, buzzing with people, street artists, street vendors and yet not over-powering or intimidating in any way. Thoughts after day 1 - remarkable and excited.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts