Just Messing About

We've had a weekend away on the Kennet & Avon canal with our friends Tim & Sharon. It was a fantastic chilled couple of days. I really enjoy weekend breaks, they seem to last so long. This one was particularly special.
On our approach to a lock following another boat in.
When you're on a canal boat the world just floats by. I forgot about the challenges we're having moving house; the fact that our lovely old boy Flint is not very well; the phone hardly worked anywhere; we forgot about work; and spent quality time with Karen and our friends. A complete switch off.

For me it was also very healthy to get out in the fresh air doing something different. We can get so involved with our day-to-day lives and routines. To go out and move lock gates, wind handles talk to canal boat people was just so refreshing and interesting.

A very relaxing time
I was amazed by how many people live on the canal. It must be a very chilled out way of life away from the many day-to-day pressures we just get used too. I'm not sure it would be for me just yet, although for a break and possible retirement activity it is appealing; as long as I can take the dogs with me!

Canal house boats vary a lot. Some are very smart others are..... lived in! One of my favourites was a Mad Max type of boat in this picture below.
Mad Max style canal boat - check out the driving seat.

The dogs were pleased to see us when we got home. Flint and Odd-job stayed with friends, my parents came and house sat for the others. Apparently they were well-behaved and kept my parents entertained - I bet they did!

We took them all out for a run on Salisbury Plain when we got back. The army air corp were out too. Odd-job decided it was fun to chase an army helicopter that was practicing hovering about 20 feet above the ground. He's a brave little fella, running off in the long wet grass towards the helicopter while the border collies just got on with their usual business. You can just about make him out in the right away from the pack as the helicopter took off.

Ah well back to work tomorrow, and house hunting, and a warm house, and wi-fi and all our lovely dogs... love the real world too.

Comments

Popular Posts